FAQ

frequently asked questions

Orders & Shipping

What is the cost of shipping?

WØRKS offers complimentary Australia-wide shipping for orders of $80 or more. Orders of $79 or less will be charged at a flat rate of $9 to any Australian residential address. 

Does WØRKS ship internationally?

We don’t currently ship internationally. If you live outside of Australia and wish to purchase our products we suggest visiting some of our stockists online, who do ship internationally.  

What is the expected time frame for delivery?

All orders received on business days are dispatched within 24 hours. Delivery to metro areas should be expected within seven business days, while delivery to regional areas may take longer.

Can I track my order?

Once your order has been shipped you will receive a tracking number and link via email to track your order.

What are WØRKS payment methods?

We accept payments through VISA, MasterCard, Apple Pay, PayPal and AfterPay. All sales are final, so please shop with care.

Ethics & Impact

What is the environmental impact of WØRKS?

We are committed to keeping our environmental impact as minimal as possible. This is reflected in the certified organic, fair trade and sustainably grown and harvested raw materials we use; our reusable glass vessels; our vegan and biodegradable formulations; our plastic-free presentation and shipping boxes; and our sustainable product refills.

We support certified organic growers to protect the environment from intensive farming, chemical fertilisers and pesticides, and guarantee the longterm sustainability of the crops. 

Are WØRKS products vegan and cruelty free?

Yes. Every WØRKS product is 100% vegan and cruelty free. We don’t use beeswax, palm oil, lanolin, honey, goat milk, animal fats or any other animal products or derivatives in our formulations. We don’t test on animals or use ingredients that have been tested on animals. 

Are WØRKS products natural?

Yes. WØRKS products are made with 100% naturally derived raw materials. Our formulations are free from synthetic ingredients that can impact human health and upset the delicate balance of the ecosystem when they enter the wastewater system.

Our formulations are free from parabens, sulphates (SLS, SLES, SDS, ALS), dyes, fillers, phthalates, PEGS (petroleum-based compounds), detergents, silicones, mineral oils and palm oil.

We formulate with certified organics, botanicals and natural extracts chosen for their biocompatability and efficacy.

Packaging

Why are WØRKS products packaged in glass?

From manufacture through to post-consumer, glass is the most sustainable option for personal care packaging. We encourage the reuse or repurpose of our glass vessels, however should they enter the recycling system they have a far lower environmental impact than plastic.

Glass can be recycled in perpetuity without a loss of integrity, while plastic has a limited recycling lifespana nd can only be 'downcycled' into products of lesser quality.

Globally, only 10% of plastics are recycled, with the remaining 90% ending up in landfill or discarded into our natural ecosystems.

Compostable and biodegradable plastics pose multiple problems of their own, being their inability to be commercially recycled; their inability to be suitably home composted; and manufacturing processes that rely on synthetic additives and plastic resins.

These factors means that biodegradable plastic is often just as harmful as regular plastic.

There is no such thing as sustainable plastic.

WØRKS is proudly single-use plastic free. 

Is glass safe for use in the bathroom?

We've taken a number of precautions to ensure that our glass vessels are as safe as possible. Each vessel is fitted with a non-slip silicon mat on the underside to prevent it from sliding on bathroom vanities or benches.

In the event of a breakage, our wrap-around labels are designed to hold the glass together to prevent shattering.

Should our clients want further assurance, we recommend the use of our discrete wall mount brackets. While currently reserved for our hospitality partners, our custom wall brackets are available for purchase upon request.

Stockists & Media

How can I make a media enquiry?

Please direct all PR requests and media enquiries to Suze Raymond via suze@worksliving.com or +61 419109614. 

How can I become a stockist?

To express your interest in becoming a WØRKS stockist please email us at info@worksliving.com with your business name, ABN, website and social links.

All other enquiries

If your question has not been answered please contact us via email at info@worksliving.com

We will endeavour to respond within 24 hours.